c) Peptide YY
2. Brown adipose tissue (BAT), plays an important role in energy metabolism in many mammals. The false statement about BAT,out of the followings is –
a) Storage of energy in the form of lipids
b) Expenditure of stored energy as heat
c) Increased Metabolic activity of BAT by leptin
d) BAT dissipates the hydrogen ion gradient in the oxidative respiration chain
3) Body Mass Index(BMI) gives a measure of relative weight adjusted for height. The healthy range for BMI is between-
a) 15- 19.5
b) 19.5- 25.0
c) 25- 29.9
d) Equal to 30 or > 30.
4) Which statement is false about ‘Upper abdominal obesity’?
a) Increased abdominal circumference (> 102 cm in men and 88 cm in women
b) High waist–hip ratios (> 1.0 in women and > 0.85 in men)
c) Risk of diabetes mellitus, stroke, coronary artery disease, and early death
d) Visceral fat within the abdominal cavity is more hazardous to health than subcutaneous fat around the abdomen.
5) Choose the true statement about ‘lower abdominal obesity’
a) Also called, ‘Apple shaped obesity’
b) Waist to hip ratio (< 1.0 for women and <0.8 for men)
c) Relatively common in females
d) Associated with increased risk for coronary heart disease stroke and diabetes mellitus.
6) Although the adipocyte has generally been regarded as a storage depot for fat, it is also an endocrine cell that releases numerous molecules in a regulated fashion. Which of the followings is not an adipose derived chemical ?
7) The major role of leptin in body-weight regulation is-
a) to signal satiety to the hypothalamus
b) to reduce dietary intake and fat storage
c) modulation of energy expenditure and carbohydrate metabolism
d) All of the above.
8) Which of the followings is not a secondary cause of obesity ?
a) Cushing syndrome
d) Diabetes mellitus
9) Which of the following adipose derived hormones promotes insulin sensitivity in peripheral tissues ?
10) Which of the followings statement is true about metabolic syndrome ?
a) Associated with lower body obesity
b) Associated with type 1 diabetes mellitus
c) Associated with metabolic diseases
d) Associated with increased risk for diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular diseases
11) Orlistat is the only FDA approved drug for treatment of obesity, the mechanism of action involves-
a) Increasing BMR
b) Inhibition of appetite centre
c) Promotes satiety
d) Inhibition of gastric and pancreatic lipases
12)- Dieting is the most commonly practiced approach to weight control. One can estimate the effect of calorie restriction on the reduction in adipose tissue. Since one pound of adipose tissue corresponds to ———— kilo calories.
13) Bariatric surgery is an increasingly prevalent treatment option for patients with obesity. Choose the incorrect statement about it-
a) Most popular is the roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB)
b) The operation can be done laparoscopically
c) Can be the treatment of choice for any grade of obesity
d) results in substantial amounts of weight loss—close to 50% of initial body weight
Key to answers- 1)- d, 2)- a, 3)-b, 4)- b, 5)-c , 6)-b, 7)- d, 8)- d, 9)- a, 10)-d, 11)-d, 12)-d, 13)-cPlease help "Biochemistry for Medics" by CLICKING ON THE ADVERTISEMENTS above!
2) What is the normal RDA for protein in a balanced diet for a normal adult?
a) 1G/Kg body weight
b) 10 G/Kg body weight
c) 100G/Kg body weight
d) 50 G/Kg body weight
3) Which of the following nutrients is rich in cholesterol?
b) Egg yolk
4) A balanced diet should have the ratio of Carbohydrate: Protein: Fats as-
5) The recommended ratio of Mono unsaturated: Saturated: Poly unsaturated fatty acids in a balanced diet should be-
6) The recommended intake of fats in a balance diet should be—% of the total calories
7) What is the caloric requirement of a 60 kg person with sedentary life style?
8) What should be the optimum ratio of cereals and pulses in a normal diet?
9) Which out of the following is not a polyunsaturated fatty acid?
a) α- Linolenic acid
b) Y- Linolenic acid
c) Caproic acid
d) Arachidonic acid
10) Which out of the following is present in animal fat ?
a) Erucic acid
b) Palmitoleic acid
c) Palmitic acid
d) Linoleic acid
11) A respiratory quotient of 0.82 signifies a—- diet
12) Which of the following is incorrect about BMR?
a) BMR increases in hyperthyroidism
b) BMR is directly proportional to the surface area
c) BMR decreases with the increasing temperature
d) BMR increases during starvation.
13) Which of the following has the maximum specific dynamic action?
b) Green peas
14) Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil (rich in oleic acid) lowers the incidence of Ischemic heart disease. Oleic acid is a-
a) Polyunsaturated fatty acid
b) Mono unsaturated fatty acid
c) Type of plant cholesterol
d) Saturated fatty acid
15) Hypoalbuminemia, hypokalemia, Hypomagnesemia and fatty liver are hallmarks of-
a) Electrolyte imbalance
d) Viral hepatitis
16) High fiber diet-
a) Lowers cholesterol
b) Improves glycemic control
c) Promotes peristalsis
d) All of the above.
17) The daily fiber content in a balanced diet should be-
a) 10 G/day
b) 50 G/day
c) 20 G/day
18) Which out of the following nutrients has the lowest glycemic index?
d) Ice cream
19) Choose the incorrect statement about iron out of the followings?
a)Jaggery is a good source
b) Milk is a poor source
c) Papaya is a rich source
d) Liver is a rich source.
20) All except one are conditions causing negative nitrogen balance–
d) Surgical trauma.
Please help "Biochemistry for Medics" by CLICKING ON THE ADVERTISEMENTS above!
b) Febrile conditions
c) Diabetes mellitus
2- Choose the incorrect statement about BMR out of the following-
a) BMR is directly related to the surface area
b) BMR is inversely proportional to the age
c) BMR is increased in warm climate
d) Males have higher BMR than age matched females.
3- The percentage of total calories obtained from carbohydrates should be between-
a) 15- 20%
4- All are true about milk as a diet except-
a) It is low in iron content but rich in calcium, sodium and potassium
b ) The major carbohydrate is lactose
c) The chief proteins are caseinogens and lactalbumin
d) It is rich in vitamin C and D but poor in Vitamin A and Riboflavin.
5- In a child suffering from marasmus which of the following clinical manifestation is not observed?
a) Watery diarrhea with acid stools
b) Subnormal temperature
c) Visible peristalsis from thin abdominal wall
d) Generalized edema.
6- The chemical score of gelatin is –
7- Which of the following has the best chemical score?
8- In a person on hunger strike from the past three days which of the following urinary tests would give a positive reaction?
9- A child has presented with growth retardation, inability to walk and bruises all over the body. Which of the following nutrients should be recommended as a supplement to the diet?
b) Egg yolk
c) Citrus fruits
10- Which of the following has the highest glycemic index?
a) Ice cream
11- All except one are true about the significance of dietary fiber ?
a) It promotes peristalsis
b) Reduces Cholesterol absorption
c) Increases glycemic index
d) Acts as an anti oxidant
12- Which of the following has the highest Specific dynamic action (SDA) ?
c) Corn oil
13- An 8 months-old-child has been brought to the pediatric OPD. The examination reveals a thin lean emaciated child. There is history of diarrhea and refusal to feeds from the last few days. The child has been diagnosed with ‘marasmus’. What could have been the source of energy to the brain cells during the period of food deprivation?
b) Fatty acids
c) Ketone bodies
d) Branched chain amino acids.
14- A 34- year-old female has reported with a history of forgetfulness, loss of hair and cold intolerance. She has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. What would be the effect of this disease on BMR?
a) BMR remains unaltered
b) BMR increases
c) BMR goes down
d) There is initial rise with a subsequent fall.
15- A 68- year- old male has been brought to the emergency in a state of coma. The patient is a known alcoholic from the past 10 years. A diagnosis of hepatic encephalopathy has been made. Which of the following nutrient should be avoided so as to reduce the ammonia formation in the body?
d) Minerals and vitamins
16- An adequate amount of tyrosine can reduce the requirement of Phenyl alanine in the diet, this effect is said to be-
a) Mutual supplementation of nutrients
b) Sparing effect
c) Specific dynamic action
d) None of the above.
17- Which of the following is a correct statement to justify the cause of fatty liver in Kwashiorkor?
a) There is more mobilization of lipids from adipose mass
b) There is more synthesis of lipids in the liver
c) There is deficiency of apo B100 protein
d) All of the above.
18- In diabetes mellitus there is reduced oxidation of carbohydrates; what will the effect of insulin administration on RQ ?
a) It will increase
b) It will decrease
c) No effect
d) Initial rise and then fall
19- Which of the following is not a component of dietary fiber?
20- Which of the following nutrients is rich in short and medium chain fatty acids ?
b) Peanut oil
c) Sunflower oil
d) Almond oil
21- Human most easily tolerate a lack of which of the following nutrient ?
Key to answers-1)- a, 2)- c, 3)- c, 4)-d, 5)- d, 6)- a, 7)- b, 8)-c, 9)- c, 10)- d, 11)- c, 12)- a, 13)- c, 14)- c, 15)- a, 16)- b, 17)- c, 18)- a, 19)- d, 20)-a, 21)-bPlease help "Biochemistry for Medics" by CLICKING ON THE ADVERTISEMENTS above!